Tuesday, May 21, 2013

1000 Homo DJs

Shawn C. Baker has been running the nostalgia treatment on me lately with his posts on various industrial/electronic jams from 20-25 years ago (Skinny Puppy, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, etc.), which has in turn put me on my own nostalgia trip.  I too was a sucker for some scuzzy, noisy industrial music (Wax Trax artists in particular), and so here's one of my all time favorites from Ministry side project 1000 Homo DJs and their amazing take on Black Sabbath's "Supernaut."  This was on everybody's mixtape.

The band consisted of a plethora of industrial and electronic artists, most notably Al Jourgensen from Ministry and Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails (Reznor's vocals on the original mix were scrapped due to some licensing bullshit between different record labels).  Legend has it, partying with each other would lead to these various industrial super group recording sessions with whomever was drunkest manning the drums.  That's probably too awesome to actually be true, but my heart chooses to believe it anyway.  Listen to "Supernaut" with Jourgensen on vocals below.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the props and thanks for posting this. I LOVE the homo dj's - this was so hard to come by back in the pre-internet days. I remember back in high school in the early 90's there was some dude peripheral to my group of miscreants that would bust it out on cassette every once in a while (yet somehow never have it on hand when I wanted to dub it). There's a disc someone burned me about six years ago that has ALL this side project stuff from Uncle AL and his various crews. It might be the Wax Trax Black Box? PailHead, Acid Horse, Homo Djs, some other stuff as well. If you're interested I could drop box you a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you just need my email address for that? Because that would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete